"Mow Only If It Needs IT"?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by memac259, Jul 4, 2008.

1. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

We have several customers, mainly real estate offices, with homes that are not being lived in, that tell us "only mow if it needs it. We mowed one of those homes weekly last month because it needed it every week.......not even questionable. Now the guy receives the bill and says there is no way it needed mowed and throws a fit about the bill...........just wondering if this is a common problem and how you all handle it???
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I did those jobs when i first started out. I took whatever i could. However I will not do them anymore. You cannot make a living with a messy route. You should provide weekly mows only and drop or say no to the PITA's.
  3. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you need to tell him its $25 to show up....and $10 more if "it needs it"! Of course take my numbers out and price the lawns as YOU would. That way if it "dont need it" you still make money.
  4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Why not just do them bi-weekly?
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Because in the eyes of the realator, bi-weekly is too often. They are cheap arses, the cost of the bill, sometimes comes off their commision.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I worked for quite a few realtors over the years, especially back in the mid to late-80's. I found out I did not care for their system. I believe some were skimming a little off the top, but for the most part they had to turn around and deal with their client on the other end.

I don't really do these kind of jobs, but occasionally I will take them. Today I try to avoid the middle man. I just ask for the name, phone and address of their client so I can talk to them directly. It usually cuts down on payment times. If the agent tells me they are responsible for getting the work done, I will pass on the job.

I do have one realtor that I completely trust. She tells me where the lawn is. I look at it and give her a price. She relays the message to the owner, and she actually collects the check for me and tells the client she has to have the check before it will be cut. She also does not question when or how often I will cut them. She pretty much tells the customer that it's my way or the highway. I really like working with her. I have never been stuck on a job she was involved in.
  7. memac259

memac259 LawnSite Member

I have one realtor that I also trust and I do 5-6 houses for, no questions asked. This guy I'm talking about is the 1st and last time I worked for him. I told him to send me my check and find someone else. D and R-I really like your idea about charging to check it out and then more to mow!!
  8. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here is my policy for all of my customers.

If your lawn does not need to be mowed, call me and tell me at least 24 hours before your scheduled day. As long as you call, I will not come, but if I do not get a call, and I come, it is getting cut.

I have had a few customers question this policy, and ask why I cannot make the decision, and I simply tell them that before we started the policy, we would skip people who really did not to be cut, and they would call us later asking why we did not cut the lawn. So far everyone understands.

I have some customers who are not on the schedule, and call me when it needs to be cut, but if they call me on tuesday, and I'm in your area on monday, you have to wait until monday. Typically these customers have Crap Lawns that really do not need to be mowed but once every few weeks.

SO FAR... I have not had a problem with lawns being excessive when I come to cut after they skip. Mabye a little taller than usual, but then they deal with the clippings, no double cutting.
  9. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Working for realtors is NOT where it's at!
  10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

tell them just to call when they want it done, youre not driving around looking at them. then charge accordingly for the height