1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow or trim first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BruinLawn, May 26, 2013.

1. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

I'm a solo operator. Do you guys weed whip or mow first?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. C Johns

C Johns LawnSite Member

Always mow first
  3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

I mow first. This way Im only trimming what the mower cant do & also trimming the grass height the same as the mower cuts, for the neatest finish.

Only exception is if the lawns too long and the trimmed grass will leave too much mess behind, but this is very rare for me. Cheers
  4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim first every time. Looks like garbage with trimmings all over the mowed lawn IMO.
  5. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I can tell w/o mowing where my mower will get. I like trimming first so the mower cuts up the trimming clippings even if they are short. It also speeds up my mowing because I am not slowing down around obstacles trying to get close to reduce the amount of trimming I need to do. I'd feel like I was working in reverse all day if I mowed first
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

And, you should be able to determine were the big mower will not fit when edging and trimming. Usually will use 20" push to cut the tight spots because it will never scalp the lawn by accident the way a line trimmer can.
  7. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

I dont waste my time trying to get close to trees/beds etc with the mower, Its quicker to do this with the trimmer. Im just saying that most of the time pp will trim more than needed because its hard to judge where the mower will or wont cut.

For me it is quicker to mow first & also I achieve a more professional look by trimming afterwards... When Im finished blowing, noone would have a clue that I trimmed last, unless as I say the lawns overgrown.

Everyones different I guess.
  8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Most of the time trim same time I mow
    I have one job we trim first so we can rest on the mowers
    3 guys 3.5 hrs strait That's on one job then ride 8hrs strait x 4 guys
  9. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I mow first and it saves a LOT of time. I mow often so there are no large clippings to make it look bad afterward.
  10. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member