Mow or trim first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BruinLawn, May 26, 2013.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I know my properties quite well. I trim first and know where any of the mowers I use can go. I'll even trim extra wide sometimes just to keep the mower out of the same tracks.

2. toasted

toasted LawnSite Member

If I am solo I trim last but it is nice to have things trimmed before mowing when theres someone else on the job.

3. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Mow first...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

Always trim first, my lawns are so neat that if I trimmed last and then blew it the beds would look like $%&*. When you blow the edges after you have trimmed them it roughs them up and then they don't look trimmed anymore.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

For the most part, I prefer to trim after mowing so I KNOW I can get what I missed.
    If wet/muddy, I definitely trim after mowing = less messy.

6. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

We all have our own ways of doing it. If you get new jobs often, which I do, then its just quicker to mow everything first, then only trim what you have to. When you have 50 diff trees & garden taps, garden beds, signs etc etc per lawn to go around, it can become impossible to predict where the mower can or cannot reach... So there is no more efficient way than to just trim what the mower doesnt cut.

& on the regulars I may have had for yrs I can predict everywhere without a problem, but as I say I can achieve a more professional look by trimming the grass afterwards at the same height as the mower has cut. :)

7. greenology

Not to sound big headed, but I have some rich and very fussy clients, so If trimming last was not a neat way of doing it, they would soon let me know. Ive never had a complaint or even comment as to clippings left behind by trimming last.

Cheers

8. Familylawncareservice

Familylawncareservice LawnSite Member

we always trim the property out, especially where the mowers cant go, and there are no clippings left on the lawn, more efficient and neater.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Not to sound big headed, but I have some rich and very fussy clients, TOO. I trim first.

10. greenology

You missed the point.

Trim first :) not saying your way is no good for you.