Mow professionally with lawn tractor?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KurtisInIowa, Aug 23, 2004.

1. KurtisInIowa

KurtisInIowa LawnSite Member

I figured if I do go into this biz, I would go buy a ztr or walkbehind. However, I do already have a 'consumer' grade lawn tractor. It does a good job for me. It's in it's 3rd season and runs like new with 110hours on it. I have a trailer, trimmer and blower. Does anybody go pro and use a lawn tractor anymore? I suppose the smart thing to do would be to use what I've already got for a few seasons and if it's going to work, then invest in commercial gear, ya think?

thanks,
    Kurt

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you have to work with what you got. If that is in the budget, then just work with that. Don't jump the gun if you don't have to.

3. KurtisInIowa

But....but....people will laugh at me!

It cuts just fine tho, sans the cool looking roller lines...

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

KurtisInIowa,
    I started my biz this year. My equipment at the start was a John Deere L120 rider, Toro trim mower, Craftsman trimmer, Homelite handheld blower. It did me just fine...however I did get laughed at and that is another story all in itself. Do a search for "what goes round, comes round".

Anyway, my business grew quite a bit and required me to upgrade to a commercial Z, backpack blower, and better trimmer. If you do good work, pay attention to detail and keep customers happy your business will grow.

Good Luck!!

Buck

5. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

yep, I just started this year too, with a lawn tractor, and my business has doubled off referrals alone, i'm going to be getting a commercial walkbehind soon, but the lawn tractor got me here. Just take your time and do good work with it and youll do fine.

6. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

tractor works for me...

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You got it right. Start with what you got, then reinvest your profits. The guys laughing at you are probably making $8 an hour working for somebody else.

8. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

that's what i use and do 15-20 a week. just upgraded my blower edger trimmer all in the first month. now working towards my ztr. this weekend might check out the quiktrac. so laugh on is my thinking.

9. KurtisInIowa

Excellent! Thanks folks. You get me closer to that plunge every day. I feel the brotherhood man!
    -Up North- That's a great story about getting laughed at...You totally had a shot at revenge, but took the high road. I hadn't even thought about the fact that when/if I do start out with the lawn tractor, and eventually replace it with a shiny new rig....I'll still have the LT as a backup! It's decent....Kohler 20hp Pro V-twin....spin on filter, full pressure lube...10 guage 48" deck, elec. clutch, hydro tranny....the blades even stay running in reverse! Shhhhhh, it's a C-R-A-F-T-S-M-A-N ...DLT2000....don't tell anybody. :) (I pull my 6x10' landscape trailer around the yard with it, it can hold it's own for a $2000 machine)That makes the thought of new equipment on the finance projections much more bearable....I can get top-o-the-line stuff when the work warrants it, and keep my homeowner stuff as backups. Whhooooo! I'm thinkin' bout waltzin' in to work singing "Take this job and shove it!......"
    thanks alot for the feedback..
    ~kurt
    "KMServices" perhaps???

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I started with a John Deere 188 and I still use it when my dad helps me. He doesnt like the walk behind and the '' z'' confuses him, he says he is old school. My JD cuts good and does strip very well, just do good work with what you have and build your equipment up as you go and you will be fine.I started out with home owner equipment because I all ready had it. I made some money and replaced it with better stuff as it became worn out.I pretty much paid for my new trimmers and blowers and mowers as I made money with little or no debt.