1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mow without trim & blow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I will not mow a lawn without trimming and blowing, even if the customer doesn't want it. Some people just want a cut. It usually happens when I say that the price includes tirmming and blowing, and they say how much to just cut. My attitude is that I don't want any of my accounts looking shabby, because a passerby won't know that I was paid to mow only. Have any of you taken the same position? The only time I'll just mow is for brush hogging fields or overgrown lots.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Yeah, those are the types that will never let an extra penny go for extra labor. Not worth the trouble. Tell them to call a scrub.:eek:
  3. lawnjockey

lawnjockey LawnSite Member

i know where you are coming from... i did a couple of those type jobs in the past and it does bother you when all they want is a mow job.. i always went ahead and trimmed and blowed anyway, figuring it's my work that people are seeing and those that do see it may not fully know the agreement between me and the costumer.. if you can, Blow it and Trim it...

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it has happened before. I tell them it is x amount to show up and that base price includes trim and blow.
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I love those type of accounts!

I had two of these last year and they were great. I made more per minute on them than the full service ones. I call it "Grass Blast!" I wish they were ALL like that.
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

As long as they are willing to pay, I wouldn't care.
  7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I'm with lawnjockey-
    I can't have my truck seen at a yard that is left looking any less than the best I can do. The folks noticing me will NOT know what my agreement is with that customer. They will only associate ME with what they just saw.
  8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I no longer will do work like that, I do yards a certain way to get what I would call a "signature look, and trimming and blowing is ALWAYS included. If it was a field or over grown lot, yea I'll do it if they are willing to pay what I will charge them.... Generally these types of folks are looking for the cheapest work and not worth it.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

What you need to do is impliment some "reverse" psycology on those types. Make it seem as those they are getting the trim and clean-up as a "bonus" to your already "low" mowing price! I've done this before, and you would be surprised at how well it goes over. All of a sudden they are totally appreciative of your service because they now think they are getting some real value.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. I see I'm not the only one who feels this way. To me it just looks like hell with grass all over the walks and driveway and the long grass around the foundation. I don't like to leave it that way. And yes, it does seem to be those people who won't contract for any extras. They're probably just waiting to save up enough $ to buy a new Crapsman and fire me.