Mowed my first lawn in three weeks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy35, Jul 24, 2012.

1. LawnGuy35

LawnGuy35 LawnSite Member

Hasn't rained in over three weeks, with a slight chance for rain tomorrow night. Otherwise, nothing in the 10 day forecast. Temps in central Iowa have been averaging upper 90's, with several days over 100. Lawns are torched.

I mow on the side, so I only have 15 regular customers. Mowed for the first time in three weeks today. Pointless. Other than some weeds here or there, it didn't even need it. I mowed some shaded areas where the grass was a little longer, and used my string trimmer where needed in areas of full sun.

I called the rest of my customers and told them I'd be out sometime next week to spot trim where needed. No one objected, and thanked me for taking it easy on their lawns. I offered to trim hedges, bushes, etc instead, but no one bit. Which didn't bother me at all, as I've been extremely busy with my full-time gig.

Been a brutal summer after such a great start in March!

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Some of our contracts we don't even start a mower. We pull in, two guys use trimmers to cut weeds and then we leave. Brutal July, hopefully August brings us some rain so we can start mowing and not just trim weeds on the lawns.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Brother, if I could split my rain with you, I would. We've received over 8" so far this month with 6 more days to go. With high temperatures and lots of rain, our grass is growing like crazy. In 6 seasons here in NC, this is the first year it has done this.

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

consider yourself extremely fortunate, Richard. I forget what its like trying to catch up! Anyone else notice when the drought kicks in the motivation goes out the window?

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Yesterday we came in, sharpened two sets of blades, changed the oil in one mower, and sat in the garage all day. Today, we mowed one property that hasn't been touched in three weeks, went to another that is irrigated only to find out their pump quit from constant use. We're looking for things to do tomorrow and Thurs. we'll hit half of our lawns for that area.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I was lucky to have a couple good landcape jobs come in. They came and went with still no rain and now Im looking for work again...sucks. Its going on 2 months with 1 day in there that had 2 hours of rain. We mow 2 long days and have been doing them all in 1short day. Thats mainly driving to the lawn and turning around.

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

We get some rain, but the yards are still brown...

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

None of those 15 lawns have irrigation?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Very bad in Michigan also. If the are messy with leaves, tree bark etc. I go over them with the bagger, or if they are patchy with crabgrass growing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I do have a couPle with sprinkler systems.
    Posted via Mobile Device