1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowed neighbor's field edge, now she sues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quickmow, Jul 16, 2008.

1. quickmow

quickmow LawnSite Member

While field mowing late last summer, we were mis-advised on the property lines at customer's house and mowed their neighbor's field. Only went about 10' onto their property, but you guessed it she called her insurance co and now that want us to pay them a small fortune for what they paid her. And of course she hasn't done any replanting - cause it all grew back anyways! We are talking about small trees and grasses, weeds etc.
    I gave it to my insurance, but it still really pisses me off. She could have at least sent me a thank you card with all the money insurance paid her. Fat trip to HI
  2. LAExmark1

LAExmark1 LawnSite Member

thats straight up bs. period. tell her to cry more.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Must be one of these tree hugger nut-jobs... Thinks that every little flower and sapling should be there because mother nature made it. Well when your property is a 100% tree covered forest and has lost all it's value because of that you better not cry then.

If she has a case against you, that's just wrong. The fact that she's already been paid for getting a few feet of her property MOWED is just nuts.
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

roundup the whole field!!!!
  5. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Take pictures. Right away and later. By the time a (if) court date comes around the field will be back to normal.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

good idea!!:clapping:
  7. quickmow

quickmow LawnSite Member

Actually I carry a camera with me now, my insurance co said to keep it in a cooler so it doesn't fry in a hot truck. They said a lot of guys in their area are doing this. Pics is very good advice!!!
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

....and people ***** when insurance rates go through the roof. That lady should be in jail for insurance fraud.
  9. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep us posted and give any advice you can about being prepared should one of us has to go to court. Thank you and good luck
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What have I missed in your post? The title speaks of being sued. Nothing in your post speaks of any legal action on their part. The insurance company asking for money, and having a lawsuit filed in court are not the same.

If a lawsuit was filed, what were the grounds of the lawsuit? Also, the title says "she sues." It sounds like she was given financial remedy from the insurance company. Why would she file legal action, if she already has been paid?