1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowed one today that had JUST been treated (sprayed)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Oops... The guy that does the fert for this lawn (not me!) usually leaves a little sign in the lawn, but I guess he didn't today. He had sprayed with tank and hose the whole lawn, preemergent/fert/broadleaf mix. Customer called me and said they found his sheet of paper giving all the details, in the door at noon and took it in. I showed up about 1:00 after they had left again. He said he saw me mowing down the road but didn't think about it hard enough to realize that I may have mowed theirs today too.

Certianly not good. Spray application was still totally on the grass, and I'm mowing pretty low for the first cut! I'd bet I removed 75% of it if I had to guess. Lawn is very thick, most of it had to be stuck in the tops on the turf.

This is WHY I like to be able to do all the fert/weed control on all the lawns I mow, this kinda crap dosn't happen that way!
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Most of those treatments take a lot of 'fail' into account.
    That there are a lot of things we should do a certain way, agreed.
    But I cut one the very next day after *I* aerated/seeded/fert/etc it...
    Got caught up in a scheduling conflict, I had no other choice but boy oh boy was I worried.
    Only once in 6+ years this happened, but here's my name and my customer's money on the line.
    But it still turned out beautiful, sure did.

So, don't worry about it.

btw... This is WHY I say we should ALWAYS use Quality products lol
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

oh well, not your problem. i always tell my customers to reschedule their treatments if they fall on my day to cut.
  4. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am just jealous that you are mowing!!
  5. Jason Rose

Well, we are mowing, but it's about 80% BROWN still. Just cleaning off the tops to let the actual green stuff show through.

And as for the "schedule" Well they are *usually* a Wednesday lawn, but I mow in that 'hood 2 days a week becaue I just can't do them all in one day. So it was partly my fault for mowing a day early. However I doubt they knew that I was even coming already, I usually send out a letter the first of March and then just show up everywhere I need to as things need done until I can start rolling with a "normal schedule". I'm betting that the guy that does the fert just happned to show up today too. Most guys don't do call-aheads with fert around here.
  6. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Shouldnt be that big of a deal anyway. The broadleaf treatment would be the only real problem and they prolly wont even notice a difference.
  7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

As much as you should have realized they sprayed beforehand, the applicator should have and is legally required to post that on the lawn. If he didnt and the customer wants you to pay for a new app, be sure to follow up with the fert company and make sure they know their applicator forgot to do what is legally required.
  8. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

9. Jason Rose

Well, the "applicator" is the owner of the company, and here in KS we aren't required by law to post the little lawn signs. I know he does in HIS customers lawns, but he also does fert for people that have other guys cutting them, and I guess out of respect he dosn't post any sinage (advertising) in those lawns.

When I do my applications I use a 1/3 sheet of paper that I actually stick to the front door with my logo, name and numbers, that explains what I applied. Nice thing about it is, anyone walking up to the house can see it.
  10. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm with u this is exactly how I promote the one stop shop.