1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowed wet grass all day today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Star, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

Biggest mistake I ever made. I'm a day behind because of the full day of rain yesterday. I had to cut today at the risk of getting more in the hole. Everything was going fine, until I got to the last couple houses, and the old Exmark was spitting up grass like you wouldn't believe. Thats the last time I ever mow when its wet. I should have gone with my original thought and never tried to do it to begin with. Live and learn I guess.
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i cut lawns all day for the company i work for full time, then came home and cut a couple of my own yards i have......i hate this weather. the lawns are growing so fast, and i hate how they look when im done. i keep raising the deck to try and avoid the growth lol and im gonna cut em twice next week to try and spruce em back up, but they are just soaked. every lawn that i saw today in my town, you could see the muddy track lines from the mowers. the company i work for told us all the other day to go home cause the properties are just too wet and the clients dont want us on them like they are (strictly commercial properties)
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

All the lawns I cut today were soaked. Rained on and off. I have a 54" Bunton wb and it does ok in wet weather. Except for real fine grass. Clumps galore.
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: did'nt even try to mow today, did sidework which is pilling up and much needed chemical apps, saw alot of guys making messes, i even saw 1 company pulling there lazer out of a lawn with a truck and chain, they sunk it so deep you could'nt make out the casters. gonna give it a go tom. tony
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, we attempted to do a couple of houses today. They were SOAKED! We gave up after 3. It just makes too much of a mess, and looks like garbage when your finished. :(
  6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet it's not the last time!!! I tell myself the same thing each and every year... 13 years later I still convince myself that it won't be that bad ;)

from AL

If we fall behind due to rain & are forced to cut wet & long turf the ZTR's & WB's stay in the shop & I double up the crews with Toro 21" Proline's.

They leave no ruts, do not throw wet grass in beds or hard surfaces & can be tipped & scraped easily by one man 2-3 times during the cutting.

The larger accounts are always cut dry.
  8. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Guys you are something. If we didn't mow in the rain we would be backed up for weeks. We use sharp double high lifts and have no problem at all. We sharpen every day. My customers want it cut and they do not care if it is raining or not.:blob3:
    Here in Pittsburgh we have getting rain like crazy so I can understand what you guys are going through. BTW I do not mow if it leaving ruts or mud but as long as the ground is firm we mow.:)
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

got my 10 in today. it sucked, but i did it
  10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I cut 12 monday in the rain, raised the deck and cut, then made my next cut at 3-3/4 " ground wasn't sloppy so they looked good, worst thing was that ive had the Flu all week, went to the doc today an got some Amoxicillin, i hate working when im sick but its part of it, ive got seventeen thursday and there still calling for rain.......Marks Mowing Service