mower A or mower B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Jun 22, 2006.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Since everyone one has their opinions about each brand, I will not mention the mowers, only the differences in them. Both are pretty much identical. Both are 48" 21 hp. Mower A has a Kawasaki with a two stage filter. Mower B has a Vanguard with no two stage. Mower B also has standard headlights and a striping roller. It's optional on mower A. Mower B is around $200-$250 cheaper than mower A. Based on those comparisons, which mower would you get. Would the engines be the deciding factor or would the additional standard equipment and cheaper price make the decision?

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Kawasakis are much better. So I would go with mower A.

3. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

I'm going with the Kawasaki - I don't know if it's group think or not. For the most part it's just my preference.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dunno ... I am by no means a Briggs man, but their new line of Vanguards don't seem to be all to bad. I personally do not care for Kawasaki engines, I'm more of a diesel or a Kohler fan.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

So far A looks better.

6. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

Just keep the oil changed and all the required maintenance up to snuff... You should not have problem w/either one. At some point any brand will need a tweaking or fixing.. Nothing is bullet proof forever..

7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

"A" would be my pick i have a kawasaki with 21hp on 48" deck plenty strong enough:clapping:

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

A. For sure, You have to reveal the brands now!

Cheers
    Jeff

9. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Okay, I was surprised that it was unanimous vote for A. I thought vanguards were suppose to be tough engines as well but how can you go against a 6-0 vote. Mower A is the Ferris 1500. Mower B is the Simplicity Citation. Basically same mower just different engines and equipment put on them. I will go with the ferris then. Thanks for all that replied but anyone reading this post late and want to put their two cents in feel free.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think the Vanguard is a bad engine I just think the Kawasaki has a longer proven track record and most would say it is a better engine. Both would probably give you years of service but the Kaw would have better resale value and it's a proven preformer. You can get the add on's later.