Mower Accident

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of my fellow LCOs and best friend had a bad accident involving a mower yesterday.

He was training a new guy and showing him the operation of a riding tractor. They turned the blades on and when my friend bent over the mower to show the trainee something the mower backed up over my friend's foot.

His left foot suffered severe lacerations and fractures. When I talked to his wife she said they were taking him into surgery to clean up the cuts and set his bones.

They expect that he won't be able to use his left foot for 2 months or more.

Everybody please be careful out there. This guy has 7 years of full time experience under his belt and this happened to him. It can happen to anybody.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's so easy to do. My rule of thumb is, NO BLADES turning if there's anyone near me. I show rental customers how to operate our equipment and when I get to the clutch engagement, I tell them to back up at least ten feet. I've always been a worry wort but it's paid off. Sorry to hear of your friend.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Very sorry to hear that Richard, hopefully everything works out for your friend.
    I know how quick accidents can happen. It puts a rotten feeling in your stomach.
    It sounds like after some serious healing your friend will still have function, that is a good thing compared to the other option. Take care, I'll say a prayer for him.