Mower Advice 4.35 acreas

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Paladin, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin LawnSite Member

I need to purchase a mower for 4.35 acreas....mostly rolling pasture....some slope...Looking at Dixie Chopper, John Deere, Gravely...
  2. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Any major commercial brand would be fine.

If you are looking at a ZTR, go with one that has at least a 52" deck.

Look on eBay. Good time of year to start looking.

Go to some dealers nearby and ask what they might have (new or used).

Also try the section here that people sell their stuff.
  3. kevreiland

kevreiland LawnSite Member

I agree with davidcalhoun - if your statement is correct and you have less then 15 degree slopes shoot for ZTR's.

Look into spending some money up front - it will pay off in the end. Locate your repair shops, find one you trust. Look at what name brands they offer / repair! Then start shopping.

If i were in your shoes I continue on the Dixie Chopper, Toro, Ever Ride, Wright, Exmark, Grass Hopper for the ZTR mowers. I'd highly consider 60" if your not worried about looks or scalping!

Keep away from tractors / tractors with finishing mowers unless you have allergy problems!
  4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wanted a good inexpensive commercial ztr mower, you would be hard pressed to beat some of the deals you find on eBay for used Great Dane mowers (the Chariot). Sure this is not the best known name brand, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

There are many other used commercial mowers to consider. What is your budget?

You might want to do an advanced search on eBay for a set mileage from you. Search for "zero", "0 turn", or "commercial" under the "outdoor power equipment" section.