1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower Advice Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jomccs426, Jul 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jomccs426

jomccs426 LawnSite Member

I'm a college student, and I've been doing lawn care and landscaping for several years. I currently have a Gravely ZT 44 HD. I love this mower. I have had ZERO problems with it, and the cut quality is as good as most of the higher end commercial mowers that I have seen. I am currently trying to expand and maybe turn this job into a career.

I would like to add another mower that way I can avoid downtime when mechanical problems finally do come. I cannot decide which way to go, though.

1. I have thought about getting a Walker because of the cut quality and ability to control clippings. If I did this I thought I might put a 52 inch deck on the Gravely. It has a Kawasaki FR691V 23 Horse enigine. Would this be too much deck for the motor? This would be short term until I could buy another larger mower.

2. I have also thought about getting a larger ZTR. Most likely a Gravely Proturn 160 or 260. I love Gravelys. They are very popular where I am located. If I did this I would use the ZT HD as a backup and for getting into tighter places.

Most of my accounts are medium to small residentials with a few large properties. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Stay in school forget lawns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KeegansLawnCare

KeegansLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

He is not asking that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KeegansLawnCare

KeegansLawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'd get a Walker or if you would consider a stand on they are very comfortable. Like a Grandstand, Vantage, Wright mowers, V-Ride, Prostance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Northwest alabama?

Walker 23hp GHS with either a 48R or 52R deck (depending on size of your lawns)

Cant go wrong.

6. Gravely Commercial

Gravely Commercial Inactive

Good Luck with your business and we're glad you love your Gravely product! If you have any questions, please feel free to post them or send us a message. Thank You

7. jomccs426

jomccs426 LawnSite Member

Marshmallow I plan on graduating college next spring so I'll have a degree. I just enjoy this job, and see potential for a good income.

How about the 52 inch deck on the gravely ZT 44 HD?
    I like the idea of having a larger deck for doing bigger bobs more quickly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. bsmelancon1024

bsmelancon1024 LawnSite Member

gravely makes a 52" deck on a same mower you have. So this shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.