Mower Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kubotafan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

I am a shoe repairman, but also do some lawn mowing in the summer season and snow blowing in the winter. I presently have a Kubota G1800 AWS with a 54" deck. I find the tractor is a great mower, but for some lawns a bit heavy, and leaves more compressed grass from the tires than I like. I have been looking at other options, but not sure what I want. I like the fuel efficiency of the diesel engine. Most of the lawns I do are smaller lawns, and some are rough enough a smaller deck might give a better cut without scalping. Is there a commercial quality mower with a diesel engine and something smaller than a 54" deck?

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, most companies offer a diesel, but i am not sure if they do under a 60 in or not. Sounds like a hydro walkbehind or a smaller z is just the ticket for you. But after a short search i havnt found a smaller z or wb with a diesel. Maybe someone else will have some insight on this matter.

3. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

I used a JD 318 tractor with a twin engine and it liked its gas too well for my liking. It was an older tractor. Are the newer gas twins more fuel efficient? My Kubota diesel likely has me spoiled! The smaller mowers I have seen are all gas.

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I believe Bad Boy will custom build you a 28hp Cat Diesel with a 52in" deck. The smallest they offer on paper is 60", but they do custom applications. www.badboymowers.com

5. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

probably the smallest mower you'll find with a diesel would be a walker. then you could add any of their decks ranging from 36'' to 74''. they also have several attachments for snow removal.

6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i didnt even think about a walker, last LCO i worked for had a 48 GHS with a diesel and it was a very good mower. And if i am not mistaken they are a small kubota diesel as well. Running a walker takes a little getting used to but i am sure you would be happy with one.