Mower advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Apr 5, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just starting out and I need some advice on a first mower. I want a ZTR and have John Deere experience. I've located a nearly new F-620 w/ 54" deck and 196 hours, two sets of blades and seat upgrade. I can get it to Iowa for a total of less than $4800.00.

I don't need a high dollar ZTR now as I won'thave that many lawns the first year and, being 50, I am too old to walk behind a mower.

Any advice?

Thank you much.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

We dont know what kind of health your in. How big are your yards? A ZTR can be complete overkill on some yards. A walkbehind with a sulkie can work just fine.

3. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Demo, demo, demo. That is the best advice. Test several different brands and buy what you feel is best for you and your needs. I really like Scag, but I have only tried one other brand so my preference is a little one sided. Best of luck.

4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm down to the F-620 or a 355D diesel / 54" deck with 430 hours for around $4200.00 locally. I can use attachments witht he 355D like an aerator and such.

I'm healthy, just 50 years old.

Thanks

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

its up to you then but you can buy a brand new WB for what your going to spend on the used ZTR