Mower advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sheerhunk, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sheerhunk

sheerhunk LawnSite Member

I need to start mowing a 5 acre lawn this spring .I need advice on what to purchase. This will be the only thing I am mowing. I have checked around and I can get a brush hog ztr with a honda 20hp motor and 52 inch deck for 5200 dolllars .that is the cheapest I have found but I don't know anything about them. I really am looking for some guidance here because I am confused. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

2. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

did you check hustler

3. sheerhunk

No Are they good mowers

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Please be more specific. What is the area u are mowing? (hilly, flat, wet during season, bumpy, fenced, trees, turf, weeds, lots of sidewalks, ect.)

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

A few questions before I answer:

- are you starting a lawn service
    - how sure are you that you have this job
    - will you be doing more properties/lawns
    - will you be doing anything besides mowing (dirt work, property maintenance, etc.)

My first choice for mowing (notice I didn't say bush hogging) only and assuming that it is worth the investment and that the property is suitable I'd recommend 60" ztr.

If you will be doing odd-jobs on the property I recommend a small hydro tractor because although the mowing quality is not quite as good as a ztr, it will still be about as fast on open property + it can operate an array of implements.

Need more info to get any more detailed than that though. . .

6. sheerhunk

Ok to be more specific. This is my personal property and this all I will be mowing. the land is not steep but it is rolling mostly down hill. There are proabably 30 trees on property.

7. 0money

0money LawnSite Member
    from Around

Sounds good to me . Since your not starting a lawn care biz. Just start out slow using it till you get the hang of it you should have plenty of room. But if your not worried about how long it takes you just get a regular lawn tractor save your self some money