1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower and engine choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by itteitj, May 12, 2006.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I am going to purchase a new Ferris 52" IS2000z. I have a choice between a 25hp kawa or a 27 hp koh. Your preference on engine size and any comments about mower will be greatly appreciated. I am in southern RI and have hilly lawns and often wet or damp lawns as well. :usflag:

2. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

are you crazy, just saw a fire on one of those units in florida on the news, totaled the mower and a john deere gator and about 75 feet of wooden fence ,and grass.
    better get a fire suit too.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely buy the Kasasaki motor. I have heard a lot of people w/ problems on the Kohler engine. I love my Ferris mowers! Wish I had a newer model w/ the front suspension though.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I just realized I didn't reply to your whole post... Riding mowers tend to be heavy. You may want to consider a walk behind for the wet areas so as to not rut lawns. If this is not an issue, look forward to flying through some lawns.
  5. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I would go with the 27 hp Kohler, that is what I have on my Lazer. I never have any troubles with it bogging down or not having enough power going up hills. The guy I worked for last year has a Great Dane with a 25 hp Kaw that blew up after 1000hrs ( He kept good care of it too). The new engine set him back $1800 plus labor to put it on. The Kaws run alright, but they cost a lot to work on. Depending on price, I would definitely go with the Kohler