Mower and Engine question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandplow42, Oct 3, 2007.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

hey I have an older Scag SR-18B three wheeled rider
    18 hp briggs, gear drive

I need to know what the transaxle has for oil, and if it needs to be changed or if it stays there the life of the mower. If it can be changed, does anyone know how?

Also, the engine starts fine but revs up and down un evenly. When I engage the blades however, the engine levels out and runs great. ????

Any help would be great

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a Tecumseh transmission then it most likely uses Bentonite grease, according to the owner's manual it says it's a Peerless, unless I am reading wrong, that would be a Tecumseh, go look at the tranny and see if it has anything stamped or printed on it, I would assume Bentonite but just make sure.
    http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SR/SROPMANcomplete01001.pdf

As for the surging, try replacing the air filter unless that's been recently done.

3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

It is a peerless transaxle.

The air filter is brand new.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Start then engine and while it's (hunting) start SLOWLY applying the choke and see if it smooths out.

If so remove the carb then take it apart, Spray all ports/passages and jets out with carb & choke spray cleaner with the little straw, Sounds like you have a restriction in the carb. low speed circuit, Also check the plug for being fouled after surging.

It would be nice to have model and type numbers also.