1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower and natural gas line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by old oak lawn, May 19, 2008.

1. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

o yes. the worst thing of all gut hit by employe today, broke at regulator. he was mowing the back of this auto parts store and was turning arround and rear of mower hit line set up.[ jd 757 ] he came running arround front where i was and told me,so i jump off mower and grab my cell and call 911 before i even get to the line. line is broke and hissing bad [ he could heare it over the mower running at full throtle when he hit it]. i bent the line over on its self and stoped about 755 of leak. 2 fire trucks show up and cut off gas. va natural gas shows up and fix line. he said he fixed it 2 years ago when last mowing team hit it. they just left when they did it and told no one. store manager in not happy and i cant blame him so when contract is over we might not be mowing there next year.but thats ok as long as no one got hurt. gas company said dont wory about it this ones free, but the fire dept might be chargeing you for the call. so qustion is has anyone else hit one and has a gas leak? gas company guy said people hit them all the time. o and if you rear this and dont have it. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED ISNURANCE. thanks all and be safe.
  2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Gosh dude, spell check works good. Use it.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
  3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got an uncle up in Nebraska that is a farmer, he was telling me about a guy that was using a road grader and clipped the main supply lines to a small town. There was so much pressure that it picked up the grader turn it 180 degrees and set it down 20 twenty feet away. I guess by the time they got the gas shut off there was well over $100,000 dollars of gas lost and the grading company had to pay it all. Id say your lucky no one got hurt and you don't have to pay for the lost gas.
  4. old oak lawn

sorry. did it hurt to read it.did u understand it. dos uouz kwon wats i mont. sorry to wastests your times. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad it worked out pretty decent for you. It was an accident bro and that is the difference. If your employee did something out of negligence then you have a $h1tstorm of problems but that wasn't the case.
    My FD doesn't charge for anything except medical calls but every place is different.
    I give you credit for quick thinking on bending the line. We have wood plugs that we use when meters are sheared off. There is always a risk of ignition but I am sure the gas company guys were impressed with your quick action.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Maybe the building should somehow block off and protect their gas line. Seems like that would be a wise investment...
  7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

it should've been flagged... like an irrigation head or even sprayed with orange paint.
  8. old oak lawn

thanks. it makes us look bad, but no one was hurt and that's what counts. it was a accident and they do happen.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

dont say dude..... we busted another 14 year old.....

come on man it wasnt hard to read or anything....

you did the right thing, acidents happen and like you said thank god for insurance, could you imagine how a fire would ruin an uninsured business.....
  10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Haha, if only this site had grammer check for you... my friend. :clapping: