1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower and Rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowforMoney, Oct 13, 2004.

1. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

I usually do not mow at all in the rain. It is suppose to rain here the rest of the week, and it rained today. I was wondering if mowing in the rain is hard on your mower. I know that it has to work harder in wet grass, but that is not exactly what I mean. I was wondering on the parts getting rained on. Is it hard on the engine at all or doesn't really matter. I didn't think it would affect it to badly but was unsure.

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have done it on many occasions, but only light rain. Any thing heavy and my stuff stays in the garage.

3. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We got about the same rain as Indy today. My guys cut most of the day, only came in because they were ahead for the week. Nothing on the mowers will get hurt cutting in the rain. Just be careful not to rut up the yard in a soft spot. And the yard might take a little blowing of clumped grass in yard since it's wet.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if there is a light mist, then yes I mow. It really depends on the property and what you think the outcome of the work will be. Is the property thick, thin, needs to be bagged, mulched, etc. It just depends.

5. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

I don't think that water getting into a mower is ever good for it. It can always get in someplace where it can cause rust and probably in the long run shorten the life of the machine. Having said that though, I do work in light to moderate rain because it's the only way to get everything done. Here in Jersey they're calling for rain almost every day for the next seven and I'm not looking forward to mowing over all those wet leaves.

6. I've never had trouble with mowers from running them in the rain.
    But I've had a lot of problems from parking them in the rain. Like from leaving them on the trailer over night. If you can't store them inside, at least cover them.
    If they're running in the rain the heat drives off the moisture. But if they're stored wet the moisture collects in the magnito and in the gas tank giving you problems.

Dave

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Agree.

As said earlier, we will mow in light rain, but when it really comes down it becomes ridiculous after awhile. Plus, all of the belt drive mowers stop working after the belts become soaked, so you are down to only the hydros.

8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

If I showed up on a customers lawn while it was raining and started to mow I would get FIRED in a heartbeat.

9. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I mow in light rain. It rained lightly most of the day yesterday then started coming down harder after I was done for the day. It rained all night. Not going out today due to the soft ground.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on how long it is going to rain, what I think the outcome of mowing will look like and how far behind I get. People in the rainy Northwest mow in the rain all the time.

Gravely_Man