1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Babes & Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Aug 8, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Ok, my wife works with me on the lawn accounts. She basically runs the Grasshopper and push mows (21") where needed.

We also have a 60" Bob-cat walkbehind that I wouldn't even think of letting her run. The thing really is a beast, and I'm just not comfortable with that.

That said, I'd like to eliminate as much 21" mowing as I can next year with the addition of a 36" or 48" walkbehind -- probably hydro. So Jodi, Liberty, and you other gals out there, do you run walkbehinds this size? Should I feel more comfortable with my wife running something a little smaller?

Also, are the Toro t-bar, and Exmark ECS controls more like a rider? That is, with pistol grips, you're in gear and then run the levers to stop. Do t-bar and ECS stay stationary until you press the levers, like a rider?

Also, my wife IS experienced in running equipment. She grew up on her dad's tractors and bulldozers, and is now pretty efficient on the Grasshopper.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The T-bar will go to neutral when released but there is a easy park brake built in to the T-bar to make sure it stays put. I own both the T-bar and pistol grip and I wouldnt want a woman on a pistol grip the T is much easier. I dont have any experience with the ECS controls
  3. GreenMonster

from NH

yeah, it's the whole pistol grip thing that concerns me. My hands are barely big enough to handle the Bob-cat. My wife couldn't run it if she had too.

To t-bar does seem like a more user friendly design...
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Hi, this is dishboy's wife, I just started working with my husband about a month ago and I am running a 36" Exmark Hydro with ECS. I haven't been working with it that much but I'm starting to get the hang of it. He installed a proslide on it and that is still a little tricky for me to run. Other than just the learning curve, I think she'll be fine with this piece of equipment.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Green, if that's her in your avatar then I think she can pretty much run anything she wants to. My wife tried our Toro 44" once and only once she likes to sit if possible.
  6. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I ran a Toro 52"/20HP Kohler Hydrowalk from Dec. '00 until July '03 and loved it. Oh yeah, BTW I am definitley not a woman but just commenting on the T-Bar. Its a bit touchy w/ the hydro but is a little less so w/ the belt drive. I weigh 270 so the Hydro was the best for me but I've tried several friends' belt drive units and they were a little more forgiving. I liked the instant reverse and speed control of the hydro also. Before buying my Super Z, I was intrigued by the ECS and demo'd them. Kind of like the P-grips control wise but definitely better for reach and finger fatigue purposes. If I were in the market for another walkbehind I'd have a hard decision. I'm kinda' partial to the T-bar but man that great Exmark cut.....

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've worked with a few women over the years, and they all could easily handle a pistol grip 36 or 48. One of these women was maybe 100-110 pounds at most. After seeing her handle a walk behind I don't see why anyone couldn't.
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

try the hustler h-bar. you don't have to fight spring preassure to operate it. handles much more like a steering wheel. let your wife demo one.
  9. GreenMonster

from NH

Thanks for the input so far.

It occurred to me today Paul, that Hustler may be an option as well -- I'm not sure how their's works, but I do now it's not pistol grip.

I like the idea of something that returns to neutral when you let go, instead of something that pulls a wheelie when you let go:p
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

My wife can run one of our 60" ZTR TANKS just fine. I would never think of having her run our pistol grip W/B.