Mower barely moves

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chitown King, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

Just started yesterday. My Bobcat ZTR will barely move even with throttle turned all the way up. Any ideas?

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Check the bypass screws on the hydro pumps, they might not be tightened all the way.

Check condition of belts. Make sure the brake is not on.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Other than it may be tired.

Anyone else?

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

The two hydro pump bypass valves are probably not tightened down all the way.
    And / or the hydro belt, itself, is loose.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Low fluid?

5. Chitown King

Bypass valves are tight, plenty of fluid, belts look fine, and break is not on. Any one else have any other ideas?

6. Marcos

Wow!
    Still stuck after two days, huh ?

Are you hearing any unusual 'whirling' or 'swishing' sound coming from the general area of the hydro pumps, compared to normal 'idle' noises, when it was running O.K. ?

Which begs the next question, since you said you "just started yesterday" in your 1st posting :

Has this thing ever run O.K. for you ?!?

7. Chitown King

Oh yeah, this mower has had 1700 great hours on it. Hardly a problem.

No funny noises. One thing funny though it is also doing and probably related. You know how you loosen the valves if you want to push it and as long as tightened cannot push? If all the way tightened, you cannot push mower. However if you start and turn off you can push. So something is clearly not right in that area. Valves are as tight as can be though. WHat else can I check?

8. Marcos

I'm not an authority on hydros by any stretch, but my gut instinct is telling me that you may have somehow gotten air in your hydraulic lines.

Carefully check all of the hydro fittings going from the reservoir to the pumps, etc.
    Are any of them loose ? If one is, then I think this may indeed be the problem!

Scan this forum for an older thread that could help you figure out exactly how to bleed air out of your hydro system.
    I know you have to open the cap to the hydro fluid tank, while running the mower on 'fast idle'...also while having the thing dramatically tilted.
    But I'm not really sure WHICH direction ! (tilted.... to 'front' or 'back' ?)

Good luck !

:waving:

9. Chitown King

Still no luck with this. Anyone have any other ideas?

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Did you gain a bunch of weight recently?

Ok, seriously, are you sure the parking brake is disengaging completely? That would be my best guess.