1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower belt keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4-Leaf, Sep 23, 2003.

1. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 118 (oldie but goodie.) Last week the Traction belt broke --- it had been on the mower about 6 months. So I replaced both the Jackshaft belt and the Traction belt.

It's been on the mower about a week and the Traction belt broke again. Granted, I had been mowing in some long grass which did bog the blades down but I wouldn't think that would affect the Traction belt.

I was hoping one of you guys (gals) might have had a similar problem and could help me out. Any common reason for this belt breaking like that?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what is the traction belt? I assume it is the one that goes from the motor to the tranny.

it sounds like a bad belt to me.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

check first to see whether or not the belt is lining up with the pulleys properly. Sounds as if the reason that it is breaking is because of a bent pulley.
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How is it breaking???? Is it apart in threads??? Does it just snap??? Are there cracks in it??? How the belt looks can tell you what is going on.
  5. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

The belt looks like it almost snapped in one spot. It was cut about 90% of the way thru in one spot.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

idler pulley is froze....?