Mower belt replacement - NAPA?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnboy48195, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Lawnboy48195

Lawnboy48195 LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Toro WB and I noticed my mower belt (the one that spins the blades) is almost split in half and obviously I need to replace it. Anyway, I swore I heard before that I could take that belt over to NAPA auto parts to see if they have one similar. Is this a good idea or should I just go to my local Toro dealer?

Thanks!

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

They can match them up to what you have but you have to remember that its a worn out belt that has stretched, and you have to figure out how much it has grown??? otherwise your going to be playing the guessing game. I would call your dealer and see what size it calls for then ask how much and then call napa and ask how much and go with the people that is going to save you more money.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Go To Napa

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

NAPA's a great place to buy belts.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They don't carry ones for my 48's, not the belt ones, they do carry the transmission belt thou...
    For mine it's the 4w-400 I think, anyhow take the old one with you so they can measure it.

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

First - You CAN get belts at Napa, you just need to know the size. Yes. They will be cheaper.

That being said - belts don't stretch, the sides wear down and they sit lower in the pulleys - it just seems that they stretch.

OE belts are more expensive but they last longer, sometimes a LOT longer than aftermarket belts. Go and try to find a belt with kevlar threads in it at napa. Most aftermarket belts have polyester threads in them.

OE belts are also going to have the threads higher up on the "V" of the belt, to better deal with going around a backside idler.

In the long run, you break out even. For my time, I'd rather spend more and replace less often.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Belts do stretch;),as much as a inch and a half..........

8. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

this information is 100% correct and napa is the place to get belts.....

9. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

Go to NAPA i went there last year and bought 2 belts for the price of one !