Mower blade edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djsmokin, Mar 22, 2003.

1. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

How sharp do you make your mower blades?

I was told that razor sharp will not hold up and was a waste of blade material.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I get mine real sharp the lift is usually the first part to wear on me with the sand around here

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I try to keep the angle close to the original factory setting, my angle gage indicates this is around 30° (durable) you can maintain this angle and get a 'sharp' edge that should last you through a days grass cutting - if you are mowing sand or rocks the edge wont last more than a couple of seconds.
    Maintaining the original sharpening angle also means you will be removing less metal from the blade at each sharpening.
    BobR

4. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

Thanks BobR and Promo. Where is Casselberry Florida? Sounds like you have as much sand as we do here in Northwest Florida.

5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Does the magna-matics shaperners work good?

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

Casselberrys just north of Orlando

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

A commercial blade grinder is just that, every manufacturer has selling points. Magna-Matic has more features than most other blade sharpeners but if you are going to only sharpen flat blades then any commercial grinder will do the job. Price around and pick your product. I myself use a Fireball Jr and am pleased with the results that it gives. Others on this site will swear by the grinder that they own. Hope that this answer helps..
    BobR