Mower Blade Indexing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 16, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I Pulled the blades off my brand new Scag Tiger Cub 52" in order to sharpen them, and upon re-installing them I could not remember exactly where they were in relation to one another.
    I read the complete manual and I don't recall reading anything about indexing the blades. ( I know the torque called for 85ft lbs)

Anyway I am convinced that it will make a difference depending on how the blades are installed in relation to one another. If installed in the proper manner it might reduce vibration, provide a better cut, or discharge better. Or maybe not...maybe due to spindle/ belt slippage the blades end up in different positions then where they were installed anyway?

Does anybody have the answer...and not just more guesses? I already have plenty of assumptions as you can clearly see.

Thanks
    Jim

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jimbo,
    I get the best cut from my Lazer when I install them like this - l - They don't stay there so I will get under mower and reset them during the day.:) ;) :) ED

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Are all the blades in the exact same length, size, and shape? If so, then it really does not matter where you put them back on. Just make sure that you put the blades up side.

4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Blades can develop an inertia “memory” so it is best to replace them in the exact position they came off. Draw a diagram when removing them if it will help you.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no need to position the blades other than up side up. There is no memory to a blade. They won't vibrate at all unless the blade is badly out of ballance. Just put them on. The blades will never stay in the same position unless your running blades that overlap and runs a cog belt. Yours doesn't.

6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

ooops:D

put some nice stripes in like that this spring.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

along wth making sure the right blade is on the right spindle,u must be sure an
    sharpen in sequence each time.
    they not only got memory but they got feelings to . dont wont to getum jealouse
    of each other. :)

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Upon shutting off the PTO, the blade brake will stop the blades in a few seconds, this is where they will slip out of position.

Ever grab a blade and turn it to position it for deck leveling? The blade you grab will only turn ONE way. And it will be the only blade you turn, the rest stay still.

The only exception to this would be Walkers or some other type of timed deck.

On your SCAG, just tighten them anyway you want, and go!

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

TLS- I don't understand the term "Deck leveling" I guess becuase it's brand new and my other mower is a fixed deck walk behind I have not had to "deck level" yet.

I guess it means to level a floating deck by adjusting the chains/ bolts, or rods?

Anyway, I grabbed only one blade and turned it to check sharpness, and all the baldes turned. Maybe when it gets older this wont happen?
    Any ideas TLS?

As I said in my original post I had an assumption that the blades would move on there own anyway...just as you have confirmed.

Thanks to all. ;)

10. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Not true, TLS. I just finished sharpening blades on my 62" Toro - the belts are tight enough that turning one blade turns them all. I even held one blade while tightening a different one - but got some slippage that way, that's how I indexed them.