1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower blade orientation ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Oct 20, 2007.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

My question is when putting standard blades on a mower does their orientation in relation to each other make a difference while moving debris to the discharge side and into the catcher. What I mean is all blades point to 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock compared to which ever direction they were pointing when bolted on.

FYI, I recently purchased a 48" TTHP that has 50% leaf blowout when bagging leaves while using MEG-Mo blades. The mower does not have a blade saddle on its spindle which dictates the blade position. Because of this blowout I have purchased a set of Oregon Gator Blades for the fall leaves and this question came to mind while putting them on.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

in your case, as well as on most mowers, no

if you have a chain drive or cog belt mower then possibly.
  3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Your manual will state whether you need to orient the blades a certain way. Usually only an issue when timing is required so that the blades don't crash into each other because their paths overlap.

The blades do not touch when running.

Doesn't it make sense if the trim blade were slightly ahead of the center blade that is slightly ahead of the discharge side blade in their timing. That seems to be optimal for moving debris through the mower and into a catcher.
  5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

It would make sense...only problem is the mower would look retarted
  6. Juan_Deere

The blades are all moving fast enough, and working together, that it doesn't matter.
  7. Juan_Deere

How would it look ********? He wasn't talking about changing the way the mower deck is built. He said timing. And you can't normally see the blades anyway, so there is nothing to look ********.

Besides, many, if not all, three blade decks are already built with an offset like he is describing. The blade spindles are not on the same line.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know walker times their blades there may be a few others. But your answer is NO for the most part.
  9. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Makes no difference. Make 'em sharp, make sure they are balanced, and bolt 'em on.
  10. FERT-TEK

Humor me.... why would it look ********? No one would see the blade orientation. I am not suggesting changing the deck design only the timing of the blades as they pass debris to the right.