Mower Blade Position

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Do you have to set the blades in a certain position when you reinstall them on your deck? Do they all have to be in the same position for a 3 blade system like this /// or this --- or does it not matter because the deck will move them? Thanks :)
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How is the deck going to move them? Yes, we put them in a / / / pattern.Some guys will say putting them on like this ( ( ( makes for a better cut. :laugh: However, on one mower cutting bahia we use a +++ pattern. We are currently looking at the all new self-sharping decks. :hammerhead: But serioulsly, why have the blades fighting each other. The point is to move the grass out the discharge shoot. Well even if your mulching I would run the blades aprox same position. Good Luck!!!
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Here's my .02. I try to place mine in a /\/ pattern.This way they don't get close to each other. It doesn't matter, though. By the time I go to take them off again, they've slipped a little into some other pattern.:laugh:
  4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Blades are to be like this \|/...
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'd make sure they're not upside down :)

Other than that, unless you have a gear-driven interference system (which shouldn't be belt-driven due to slip), the blades will never stay the way you put them on but for so long anyhow (again due to slip).

Personally, I kinda like them this way myself ,,..zooO~ /\/`'W'`\/\ ~Oooz..,, but everybody's a little different.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

How do they "slip a little"??? The only way they could 'slip' is if you hit something...My blades don't just 'slip' for no reason...:usflag:
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Even the dbls dont slip. Unless I was to hit something really really hard.
  8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The theory of putting blades in certain possition and expect them to stay there is false. The reason is even though we have tight belts, belts slip and pullys are not the same size so belts do not stay in the same postion. Every 25-30 seconds blades change their postions. This can be proven on any mower.