Mower blade primer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodland, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm running a JDX300 with a 17hp JD iTorque engine and I'm not real happy with the cut quality. I don't do alot of mowing so it would have been hard to justify much more of an investment. I am currently using JD mulching blades (they came with the mulching kit that didn't really do what I was hoping). It seems as though I get quite a bit of grass that doesn't get cut at the same height as the rest - it got somewhat worse when I used the mulch kit but I have come to understand that to be typical. Could someone explain the different types of blades that I have available to me and what I might do to get a better cut (short of a new machine). Also, before anyone says it, the blades are sharp.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try running hi-lifts, all I run, works for me.
    Some Lco's mulch, some bag, others discharge, strange how that goes but whatever works.

3. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Bump...just looking for some info on different blade options I have.

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The newest is the meg mo blades and they have been out 10 yr. and have done a very good job.

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

We have asked you over and over again to prove it. Lets see photos.

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Go to right where it says sponsors and click on the meg mo banner and that will take you to my web site so you can view the video

7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

The video does not show much.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Woodland, Another thing is, please check your deck pitch. this can certainly do that, also. Place your machine on a FLAT LEVEL surface. Position your blades straight front to back. Measure the front tip to ground, then the rear tip to ground. Your difference should be 1/8" and no more than 1/4 inch - with the front being lower than the rear. If it is level, it causes blowdown. Also, if it has reverse pitch, it is wrong. Sometimes, it is s simple as this, and always check this first. Other than this, it may just be the blades. Some decks require high lifts for a good cut. Others, don't cut well with high lifts due to too much turbulence - and it causes the grass to blow down (deck cannot exhaust that much air fast enough through the discharge). Good luck with it.