Mower Blade Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Shawnhines, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

How often does everyone take their mowers down to sharpen the blades???

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Everyday it cuts

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

every day or every 8 hours of mowing, smaller mowers that are used less often are sharpened once or twice a week.

4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I du nno about the 8 hours thing.. althought it would be the best to do... for most I believe this is pretty impractable... For us, were doing approx. 250 -300 lawns a week, depending on the week, and working from 730 am to 7-9 pm.... Now i dont see how it would be possible to do blades everyday on 13 machines... just isnt practicle.. we do them once a week, sometimes we we have a set already sharpened, and when the commercial account are down mid week, we switch them for the residential

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I cut just like you back in the day and would change blades during the day on the mowers, some props where so big we changed blades during the cut

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

for us it depends on the time of the year

7. Prolawnservice

you can cut faster with sharp blades and still have a good looking cut.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It is simple sharpen blades daily two strokes on a wheel is all it takes + if you leave em on your machine for a few days you can not get em off seems they get tighter,i don't see how you are cutting 300 properties weekly with dull blades i cut at high speeds.

9. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said.. where do you see time in the schedule I gave you to sharpen blades on 13-15 machines Daily?? Its just not possible.. at least not with us.. and the blades may be a little dull.. but it doesnt show in the lawns.. I mean come one.. some guys on here wanna do every little thing possible.... but its a business.. you have to have balance

10. Prolawnservice

At the end of the day, you'll free up some time by mowing faster, than when the crew gets back its maintenance time for about 15 mins. Sharpen blades, clean decks, change oil if needed, change or blow off air filter if needed, throw out trash, replace anything used that day or needed for the next day.