Mower Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dago man, Oct 15, 2006.

1. dago man

dago man LawnSite Member

Any tips for sharpening lawnmower blades, small 22 inch cut walk behind mower blades or any other for that matter, is using a bench grinder the best way or is there a better method?

2. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i use a bench grinder to start with and then a disk sander to finish.

3. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how much $ you are looking to spend, or if the Foley-Belsaw is more than you might be looking for, but we are about to purchase a Foley-Belsaw blade sharpener.

We have been using a Milwaukee bench grinder for the past 10 years, but since we are doing a lot of upgrading right now, and this product seems to fit the bill, we have decided to go with it.

http://www.foley-belsaw.com/Sharpening%20Equipment%20for%20Lawn%20Mower%20Blade.html

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

A bench grinder will do the job fine, just try to keep the same angle that came from the factory and take off as little metal as possible. An important factor is keeping the blade balanced...the easiest way to do this is to just hang it off a nail in the center hole to see if one side of the blade is heavier than the other, and take a little more metal off the heavy side if necessary.

5. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

that looks like an awesome machine, but i don't think that it's in this years budget. well keep doing it the cheap way:laugh:

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The volume of blades we have sharpen, we have found the very best tool for the job,Magna-Matic dedicated blade sharpeners.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a neary lesco sells the same machine.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. That's what I was just going to say. I have the same grinder. It works ok. It's a bit slow, but it works ok for what we use it for. We stay righ on top of our blades, so it does ok. If I sharpen somone elses blades that are duller really need more taken off, it takes a bit long. I CAN tell you this...That little bed they giv you for the blade rest isn't worth a darn. I took a piece of flat stock about 6" long and 3" wide and bolted it to the top using countersunk allen bolts. This keeps the blade much more stable. Now, a friend of mine hs the RBG commercial grinder with the 1 hp motor, and this grinder of mine can't TOUCH that grinder for productivity. Like I say, though...It DOES do well for keeping blades sharp.
    I have no idea who this "foley-belsaw" outfit is, but theysre don't manufacture this grinder. It is made by Neary.

9. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe that's it. Maybe it is Neary, and not Foley-Belsaw. The Website doesn't give a brand name for the grinder. But, upon viewing closer, I believe I see the brand name Neary on one of the machines.

Thanks for the heads-up.

10. dago man

dago man LawnSite Member

Thanks alot!