Mower Blade Sharpening

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RMLand09, Jul 21, 2009.

1. RMLand09

RMLand09 LawnSite Member

Just asking out there- Our crew have been trying to argue with us about the fact we sharpen our mower blades each morning before the crew takes them out. We have always done so 20+ years now. We run walker mowers and 52" walk behinds. They believe it is more cost effective to just replace new blades after a couple of weeks. We know that a sharp blade cuts the grass properly. Just looking for feedback as to a percentage of daily blade sharpeners to others who just replace when they get dull. :usflag:.

2. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Do what has worked for you for 20 years...sounds like the "crew" is getting lazy about your morning sharpening ritual.:laugh::laugh:

What's happening to the quality of your cutting after the 1st week of mowing ? Is it satisfactory to you to let the cut quality suffer until new blades are mounted??

3. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Daily might be a bit much, but it depends on what your cutting. Right now I'm at three days. Spring and fall every other day. I keep the mowers on a rotation so I don't have to do everything in one morning.

I'd tell your crews so shut the he!! up and mow the grass. If they knew the best way to run a business they wouldn't work for you.

4. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the grass you have up where you are. But in Florida.
    Changing blades each day does two things for me. In the summer at least.
    Better cut appearance.
    Saves time cutting the God Awful Bahia seed heads. Dull blades means double/triple cutting.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I think I agree with both of these ... do what has worked for you for the last 20 years, to an extent ... however, I also agree that everyday may be a bit of overkill !!

6. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I sharpen mine on the ZTR's every 25 hours. On the push mowers, roughly a couple months.

7. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

by rights they should be sharpened every 8 hours there on the machines counter.. everyday is probally overkill..but buying new blades everytime they get dull is a complete waste of money!! whats a gator these days 15 bucks a pop x 3 a machine thats 40-45 bucks..sharpen your self thell probably last a season if not longer..

there argument is totall bullshit because you have to sharpen all new blades anyway to take the thick coat of paint off thge edge. sooo yea

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

how many guys do you have sharpening in the am
    how many blades are being sharpened
    what brand and type of blade
    what are you using to sharpen
    how many guys are standing around when this takes place
    how long is this daily procedure
    how many sharpenings are you getting before replacement
    what are you paying for blades

with this info I could do a cost to benefit analysis/time study and determine for fact where this procedure lies with the bottom line.

Without this info I can tell you right now you will become more efficient and reduce overhead if you purchased enough blades to just do daily "PM" not "AM" blade exchanges and have 1 guy just sharpen the coming weeks blades at 1 time at the end of the week and eliminate the daily am sharpening, coffee and grab ass.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Paint off the edge, Your jokeing right?........

10. roclin

roclin LawnSite Member

In the past I would just have extra blades to change every morning or every other day. During the day I would just sharpen and balance each blade for the week.I would also wash the underside of the mowers. You never what you will transfer to the next customers lawn. Also spray bleach mixed with water on your trimmers. Kills blight.