Mower Blades and Applications

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hortboy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Well up here in NY I am feeling the sense of urgency to get ready. My question is which blade style is best to run when your doing alot of bagging of grass clippings is the spring. I'd like a something that is less likely to clog bagger and prevent mower deck build up.

Thanks

2. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I would go with a High Lift blade for doing alot of bagging, and if your mower accepts it, I would run doubles, one high lift and one gator blade. Hope that helps.

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Don't use doubles, I kno alot of guys do, but "doubles" is more of a mental thing. Go with a high lift Gator blade for bagging, and a medium lift Excalibur for discharging.

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I hear good things about the meg-mows, I'd get a set...However the inital cost just to try them out is not appealing. I am sure they are a great product, and have some kind of a guarentee, but I don't like to return something I used. :alien:

6. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

High lift blades will discharge the grass the farthest.I had a problem using gator blades.They chop the grass up to much and i think it makes the grass stick to the under side of the deck,and it clogs the bagger intake with more grass then the blower can blow.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

There is nothing wrong with running doubles.....I have done it for years on many different mowers with good results in all cases. The Best combo usually has been double gators, good discharge distance, and very fine clippings......I don't do much bagging but they seem to work OK for that too.

Derek

PS....I am currently testing out Meg-mo's........can't wait till the grass starts growing...

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

A plain old high lift blade will be a good blade for bagging, because they have the best discharge. If you go with a High lift gator you will not only have good discharge, but they cut the grass into smaller pieces making it easier to hold more grass in the catcher.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

this guy used old blades!

[​IMG]