1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CBramble, Mar 29, 2006.

1. CBramble

CBramble LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Ninja blade for my Snapper mower. When I picked it up I looked it over and the blade is really dull. I asked the guy at the store if I needed to sharpen it,he said that contrary to belief you don't need a sharp blade and just put it on the mower how it is. I just looked at him funny and said OK. Now from what I have read and have always believed is that you want a sharp blade. Which is it?
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

a razor sharp blade is more supseptible to getting nicked up from hitting rocks and other objects. Was the blade really dull, or is it painted and just makes it look dull because of the paint layer?
  3. CBramble

CBramble LawnSite Member

I could run my hand over it no problem. It was butterknife sharp....:rolleyes:
  4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Generally there is a sharp edge on a new blade under the paint. So yes just put the blade on and after 15 minutes of cutting the paint will be worn off and there will be a sharp edge underneath the paint.
  5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

that mower blade should be sharp! if it isn't you will tear the grass and not cut it. you want to make the blade as sharp as possible. Talk to you local golf course mechanic, he can make it damn sharp.