Mower Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drains, Jan 15, 2009.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

Need blades for my Gravely 152XDZ 52" deck and wanted to ask others where you buy your blades, online or local dealer. My local supplier wants 23.65 per blade for the marbain steel ones. Are there blades out there that match the quality of the marbain steel blades but at a lower price that anyone knows of? I like the marbain blades but I could sure go for a lower price. I see all kinds of blades online for as low as 8.40 apiece but I wonder about the quality. Thanks for your input.

2. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of the balde makers are the same. I know that exmark and a few other brands get thier blades from the same company that makes oregon blades. And at that price you can get 3 sets of blades for the price that your deaelr has them for.

3. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I just buy everything from my dealers, they should cut you a deal on parts, if you buy everything from them . When your in a bind, this business relationship may pay off someday !!:drinkup:

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

This is great advice! I also buy my blades by the box vs. set. I get them for $100/10 vs. the regular price of $17.95/ea. The oregon high lifts for my JD are actually better than the OEM blades that were $60.00 a set from the JD dealer.

I would have bought from them but they closed their doors and moved 3 towns away so now my dealer is a Toro/Cub Stihl/Echo dealer.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I buy mine on ebay from Russo. I pay $7.60 or so a blade for his gator mulching blades. Their great!

6. BigGreen1

BigGreen1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

http://www.expressmowerparts.com/

I really like the wavy mulching blades. Get the thicker ones if you can. The blades leave a very nice cut. The company provides great service.

Tim

7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

whats a wavy blade??????

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a couple sets of gator mulching blades off of texasmowerparts.com. They were considerably cheaper than the poor dealer that I used to go to.

9. drains

drains LawnSite Member

By the way, if I want to run doubles will I need some sort of adapter? Do you put high lifts over low lifts? Will doing this void my warranty? Will it increase the load on the machine to the point that the spindles wear out quicker? What is a wavy blade?

10. BigGreen1

BigGreen1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

http://www.expressmowerparts.com/Wavy_Mulcher_Blades_s/176.htm

Wavy mulching blades were suggested by duratothemax. I bought a set and I really like them. They do a great job of mulching and a great cut. If I were just mulching leaves the gators are best. In my opinion the gators cut is a 5 to the wavys' 10.

Tim