Mower Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bibblawnservice, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bibblawnservice

bibblawnservice LawnSite Member

Hi, I always have to sharpen my blades every two days. Has anyone found a better blade that lasts longer? I am willing to spend more money on a blade but can't find a blade that holds its edge.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Bibb Lawn Service

2. bibblawnservice

bibblawnservice LawnSite Member

Maybe there is a better material blades could be made out of.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

If you find the magic blade that can spin at those rps while getting sandblasted and still hold an edge let us all know.

4. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried Oregon blades? We get the best service out of them. But to give your customer the best cut even they need sharpening every 10hrs or so...

The chinese made blades are crap, the cutting edges are not hardened or tempered properly.... tried to save some money a couple years ago and ended up throwing them all away. They dulled after 4-5 yards and would start ripping the grass.

What works best for us when sharpening is not making a knife blade edge. keep the edge squared off a bit, if you sharpen them too much you lose the edge much quicker. That's a common mistake, you don't need a knife blade edge to cut grass, just not a rounded one.

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Fusion blades by Oregon

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

make sure the blades you are buying are thich enough. Thin blades are cheaper but they dull quicker

7. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Also: don't run gator or mulching type blades if you hate to sharpen. Regular blades can stay sharp about twice as long, since they don't recirculate and cut the grass as many times.

8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Oregon or Expressmowerparts brands both hold up very good for me