mower blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bushwacker 268, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Bushwacker 268

Bushwacker 268 LawnSite Member

Thinking about sharpening my own blades. Using a grinding wheel or dremel tool with a stone attachment. I have an Exmark z rider and heard these blades are difficult to sharpen and balance.
    Never have been told how to balance the blade and what this consist of.
    Any ideas??????????

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't take anything fancy. A $150 blade balancer is not necessary. A cheapy $4 one will do. It serves the purpose. I've been sharpening and balancing blades for commercial mowers for over 20 years now, and have had ) trouble and ) issues with spindles related to unbalanced blades. While a dedicated blade sharpener is nice, sometimes $500 is out of the question for some. Before I got mine, I just uused a bench grinder, and was able to do a nice job. If you have an angle grinder, this is one fast and efficient way to do your blades. No, it won't have a "perfect uniformed edge", but you can make a nice clean angle, be gentle on the edges and get the bevel nice and sharp, and you can still always balance the blade out. It works great. As a matter of fact, I STILL use an angle grinder on my wavy mulching blades. I hope this helps.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

4. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

Agree with Fareway, Magna-Matic 8000 and their balancer is the way to go.