mower blowing white smoke & stalling @ full throtle....help please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pvl318is, Jan 16, 2005.

1. pvl318is

pvl318is LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have just inherited a Rover Mower with a Briggs Stratton craftsman series II engine. Model 92508.

The problem exhibited is that the mower will start but you cannot push throttle to full or the mower stalls..
    If you let it run at half speed for a few minutes, white smoke starts coming out of the muffler...smells like burning oil.
    I have checked spark plug and cleaned the inside of the throttle body .also cleaned the air filter have also adjusted the fuel mix screw to full clockwise and the 1.5 turns anti clockwise...
    If i try and cut the lawn at this speed the mower just slows and stops if there is even a small amount of grass to cut.

Thanks.

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure there are guys on here that are sharper in this matter than me, but I wonder when you pulled the spark plug out if it was fouled with oil? And, did changing the fuel mix screw make any difference?

On some mowers, the choke control for starting the engine is on the throttle lever - generally all the way forward. I don't think that your mower is set up this way, is it? If so, you may have a linkage problem and when you're running full throttle you're actually choking the engine. When you run an engine this way it will proably smoke and run rough, and even when you return it to idle until the excess fuel is burned away.

I've had problems with fuel filters down in the gas tanks gumming up, and also with the rubber diaphragm in the carburetor. These made the engine run rough, but I don't recall the smoke that you talk about.

And, I suppose that a leaky head gasket could cause oil to be getting into the cylinder.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

It's overfilled with oil.

Change the oil and very carefully put in the right amount and the problem will be solved.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If that doesn't fix your problem then you may want to post this in the repair forum. You would probibly get more responses. Oldtimer is right, its probibly got too much oil in it but then again it may be something else.