Mower blowing white smoke...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by danielslawncare, Apr 10, 2008.

1. danielslawncare

danielslawncare LawnSite Member

I just bought a JD 850a and it just rolled over 9 hours or so. ever since i got it, it has blown out white smoke. it happens when i start it up and when i throttle down from high rpm's really fast. i think it is getting worse. is this normal for new engines orwhat??? any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The oil case is probably overfilled.

3. danielslawncare

should i try draining some of the oil? i just changed it after the 5 hr. break-in period and filledit to capacity... 2.1 qts

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would take it back to the dealer.

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Did you change the filter also? New mowers do burn oil, but by 9 hours you shouldn't notice it.

6. danielslawncare

i did change the oil filter as well. the machine runs perfectly fine. i dont get it

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

The rings might not have seated properly. I'd recommend taking it back and let the dealer know whats going on. It HAS to be under warranty with only 9hrs on it.

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with the JD 850A, but engine-smoke problems usually fall into three categories.

black smoke - too much fuel suggesting rich mixture.

blue smoke - burning oil

white smoke - it's really steam because somehow water has gotten into the combustion chamber

But I don't know if this engine is water cooled. If it is and the exhaust smoke is really white, your problem is as stated. But if it's blue or blue-gray, you are burning oil, which may stop after the engine has more hours on it.

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

did you put the correct oil in it. sometimes diffrent weight oil can cause white smoke issues

10. danielslawncare

it is and 830a, im sorry, but it is air cooled. i know whitesmoke means water in the gas, but i dont know how it would have happened. it hasnt even been rained on. i guess ill let my dealer know about it.