Mower bottoms out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flattoplawncare, Apr 8, 2008.

1. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, i just bought a new mower and trailer and when i go up the ramp my mower bottoms out at the top, Is there anything i can do? Give me some ideas im sure this is pretty common. What if i install air springs in the Tahoe?
    Here is a link to my trailer so you can get a better idea. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=224147

2. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

maybe try going up backwards or get a longer gate for ur trailer. how high does ur mower deck go up? my ztr goes 5 inches high.

3. flattoplawncare

It has a fixed deck, but i have not tried going up backwards, I also have not set the decks height and rake yet.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Flip your trailer hitch over to pick the front of the trailer up and lower the back.

5. flattoplawncare

That could do it im gonna try it!! any ideas how to get it out of there?? it is stuck pretty bad!

6. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

go up at an angle or I don't know how easy it would be with that mower but lift the front wheels when you go up. I guess it all depends on the mower.

7. verant

where is it stuck? just un hitch it and flip over your hitch so its higher and drive off.

8. verant

it looks like ur current hitch reciever needs to be a taller drop down, so when u flip it over it will be higher, thus making ur ramp a shallower angle

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, they're right. You just need to change angles. Either lengthen tail gate or slope trailer. Otherwise weld a solid, smooth skid plate across the mating edges of the gate and trailer.

10. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

PB Blaster (saturate) then let sit over night. If that fails..repeat but try hammering out on it some to loosen it a bit. all else fails- heat with torch as LAST resort (carefull of gas tank back there) and remember Penetrate oil is flameable. Geno