Mower Box Truck Opinions?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by crevinalandscapingllc, Jun 10, 2013.

1. crevinalandscapingllc

crevinalandscapingllc LawnSite Member

Hi guys Ive been thinking about buying a box truck with trailer gate for the mowing crew and get rid of my enclosed trailer and the pick up that pulls it. Im trying to see who uses the box truck set up and if they like it vs the trailer and truck set up. Also how big the box is, do you need a special license, how they set it up ect. Pros and Cons? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Mark

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive been running a chevy cutaway 18 foot box for 6 years. It has a dovetail ramp. I really like it.

The pros is its eaiser to drive than a trailer, and when your done for the day just park it, no tarps necessary.

The con is its a decitated vehicle, and loading bulk mulch is not possible.

3. crevinalandscapingllc

See that's not really a problem, I still have my pick up truck for estimates, and my dump truck for mulch, leaves, ect. The truck would just be for the mowing crew. Just curious what's a cut away truck?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The cab is a van cab.

5. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

There are plenty of guys that run box trucks on here, most seem to like them. No, you don't need a special license to drive one. Unless you rig a hitch up to it and tow a trailer weighing 10,000lbs or more(the cabover trucks don't like towing from what I've heard though).

Pros: security, turning radius, takes less skill to drive than a truck & trailer, the Isuzu's are extremely reliable.

Cons: hauling grass, leaves, and mulch is more difficult. If you buy new they are expensive, you can only haul 3 guys unless you get a crew cab (and used crew cabs are hard to come by, and expensive).

Syzer, Copacabana, and ryde307 (among others) run box trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. crevinalandscapingllc

Thanks alot man great info any other opinions are very helpful
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I personally run a Isuzu NPR and just for the short few weeks I have been running I have wondered how I ever did without it. SO MUCH better than pulling trailer with truck. Like Larry said. It's a dedicated vehicle for sure, but like you mentioned if you have another vehicle then your fine. I have a flat bed that I use for mulch as needed.

8. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I personally run a Isuzu NPR and just for the short few weeks I have been running I have wondered how I ever did without it. SO MUCH better than pulling trailer with truck. Like Larry said. It's a dedicated vehicle for sure, but like you mentioned if you have another vehicle then your fine. I have a flat bed that I use for mulch as needed which is not often. Space can get limited but once you figure out how you want all of your things situated then you will be set. Lock it us and walk away at the end of the day. It gets frustrating loading and unloading at gas stations to fill up mower but getting a transfer tank makes that easier or so I have found for me. Lots of wall space to hang weed eaters and blowers.

Some this I copied from your other post

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

If you want new check out superlawntrucks.com. We have 2 one with a dumper for debris. Muddy on here has made a few himself using used trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

If you call the guys at SLT they can sometimes get you a used one too. Or outfit a used box truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device