Mower Brands

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YardKeeper08, May 7, 2008.

1. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

So how does everyone feel about gravely mowers? Both walk-behinds and zero turns. Also what would be the top three brands for each style if you have an opinion?:laugh:

2. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

TORO, TORO, TORO! :) I like Toro alot if you can't tell.

But to be fair...

Rider: 1. Toro 2. Kubota 3. Ferris

Walk behind: 1. Toro (They have the best drive controls, options, and deck)
    2. ? 3? I've tried Exmark and Bobcat and don't like either.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have had good luck with an Exmark ZTR, and a Gravely WB.

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

gravely is a good mower I have not heard much bad about them but I personally like scag,exmark, and toro. The best decks are scag:velocity, Exmark:Ultracut,Toro:turboforce. By the way don't bother with exmarks triton deck they are awful

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely's are good machines ... but I have a Dixon !!

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I ran Gravely about 30 years ago and loved it....

I have a custoer who has one " ZTR " that I'm going to purchase from him this weekend,,,

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

They seem pretty nice for the price, but check out what I have on my trailer!...lol

8. JacksonsLawnCare

JacksonsLawnCare LawnSite Member

928 Grasshopper 2006 61' Cut Vac System 928 Grasshopper 2004 72' Deck Love These Mowers Lots Of Torque And Power 28 Horse Kabota Diesels Good For 2000 Hrs

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, but your talking about $16000 to $18000 for the 2008's. I can understand paying a little more for something nice, but they are getting ridiculous! $10000 should be the cap on mowers, diesel included....lol. I had a friend the other day buy a used 722d with 110 hours at the hopper dealer for $7000. He was so excited, he called me to rub it in my face (I paid $11800 for mine in 06!)The dealer called him, and made a mistake...another salesman had aready sold that unit to someone else. He said he would give him a new one for their cost. He got a new 2008 722D for $7800 and some change!!!!. You know what they retail for.............$11800 here!! They are making waaay too much markup. How about a 28hp Cat diesel Bad Boy for $11295. I looked up to see what the engine costs, and its $6800!!!. Talk about a buy! I will gladly keep my $6000 and pull my mower on the trailer ramps to change the blades out....lol.

10. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely and really like it. If your looking for a solid mower Gravely is the way to go. I see these other guys talking about the decks on other brands and forgetting about Gravelys X-Factor deck I mean I ran over a 1/2" steel pipe today and no damage.