1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mower Choice for Grass Collection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MBDiagMan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting this thread as a spin off from the Mower Advice thread.

I am looking to get a mower with a GOOD collection system. It seems that the common ones for this are Grasshopper and Walker. I have been eyeballing a couple of 1,000 hour or so Grasshoppers, but they seemed to get a bad report in the Mower Advice thread.

I would like at least a 52" deck, but would prefer a 60" and enough power to mow AND operate the grass collection system reliably. I would like to buy used, but not worn out, but I might be willing to buy a new unit a little smaller if necessary.

So what options do I have when it comes to a mower with a grass collection system that actually works and dumps from the seat?

You guys always provide great information so I thank you in advance for it.

2. MBDiagMan

One more question; does anyone have any experience with any of the aftermarket grass collection systems that can be adapted?

Since there have been over 20 reads and no responses, I might have hit on a sore subject or something. Maybe just because I don't think many folks use a grass collection system.

3. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

All I ever see round here is walkers and the exmark navigators. I see walkers for sale used all the time on craiglist.

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

My vote would be a grasshopper. Parts are cheap and the leave a beautiful cut. Now with walker and ventrac they make lift system for the bagger will go up and out at the touch of a button and dump into your truck. Peco makes a lot of oerm baggers and pelitor or peletor is a good bagger to. Trac vac is another company that is used for oem.

5. grasshopper, very good collection system.

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

walkers are excellent for dedicated grass collection, they do require some maintenance though

7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

52 inch is the largest vacuum deck walker lists.

8. MBDiagMan

Thanks for the responses guys. I saw several negative feedback posts on another thread regarding Grasshopper. Walkers are not at all common in this area. I have my eyes on a few different used Grasshoppers and a line on some older ones without grass collection that I might can add a Grasshopper collection system to if I can find a used system.

In another thread someone encouraged me about finding a used Grasshopper collection system, but I haven't had much luck with my online search.

9. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

If you can find one with the T drive

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

And they are slow as molasses in january.

Gravely has a dump from the seat bagger but they only fit the new proturn 200 and 400 series mowers with the xfactor II deck.

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/SeriesDownloads/X-Treme-Flow-Sell-Sheet.pdf