Mower choice for large apt complex...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MLI, Apr 26, 2004.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Im bidding on 276 unit apt complex...has 26 seperate buildings, office area, pool area. My question is to those who service this type of areas. What mower/ztr do you like, and find most efficient/safe for operating amoungst cars/people/obstacles. Im running a Walker at the moment an several walkbehinds, but know I need wide decks. I know Hustler and Exmarkis a good choice, but was wondering about some of the Wright standers?! Money is not an object for equipment, seems like Ill need 2 units(area is about 10 acres)....whats your picks?...and why?...thankx
  2. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

Wright Stander all the way. I service 6 apartment complexes now and all i use is a 61 inch stander for me, and a 48 inch bobcat walk behind for my guy. I also have another 48 and a 36 for hills. Standers are perfect, cause they are kind of small due to the stand on design, so they are great for maneuvering around cars and such. I use the 61 for large areas and the bobcats for the smaller areas. Id recomend a 61 and maybe a 42,because the 48 stander is very expensive for whatever reason.

3. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with RTallday. Wright standers are the way to go. I mow a lot of apartment complexes and my 52 wrights do a great job..............But watch out for those hills. Can't handle it quite as good as a walk behind
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have an exmark 52 lazer. Too long to be standing for me. I used to have a great dane, and glad i dont anymore.
  5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my stander as well. For tight areas, its phenomenal. However, my experience with it on hills has been as good as my exmark walk behind. Highly recomended
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 8 208 unit appartment complexes we do. Equipment list to do them .60 in Kubota ZD21, 37in Hustler WB, 2 Honda pushers, 1 string trimmer.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

You do a complex with over 1600 apartment or 8 Buildings with 1 string trimmer ?
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes . Accually its 8 seperate complexes each has 12 to 14 buildings. One guy on a trimmer,one on the rider , one on the WB , and two push mowers going. The big machines will get done first and start blowing the hard surfaces while the others are finishing up. 7 acre properties each takes 3 hours to do.
  9. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Great Dane Super Surfers work awesome for us.

The floating, easy to adjust deck makes it a no brainer over the Wright Stander.

9 MPH ground speed doesn't hurt either!!
  10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Satnders are definetly not as fast as ztrs(Friends of ours raced a ztr with there stander and they said the ztr beat them hands down) but do a good cut anyways. They take up alot less space on the trailer and are slightly cheaper.