Mower cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowtown72, Jun 6, 2004.

1. mowtown72

mowtown72 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any recomendations on what products to use as far as cleaning your equipment? (engines, decks, rims etc.)

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

"Simple Green" works pretty well. One thing that I personally don't like is powerwashing. Too much pressure. I was told by a mechanic that the pressure of the water is what caused a transmission on mine to get stuck in 4th gear. Water got in there.

3. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I used to pressure wash my stuff all the time. It always makes a big mess. Now I use my "air spade" to clean the mowers. Very fast and cleans the under side of the deck better than the power washer. It will knock out the build up much faster and cleaner than my 3500 psi pressure washer. I also use "simple green".

4. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I used a purple concentrate I believe called Zep. I just spray it on the mowers and let it sit for a few minutes then just hose it down. Before doing that i take a blower or air hose and get rid of all the grass and dirty. THat usually does the job but the Zep gives it that new look shine.

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have just been using automotive wash and a soft scrub pad. So far so good. Keeps my mower looking better than my truck.

6. Mako

Mako LawnSite Member

I use a gas powered blower every time I use the mower. Everything but mud comes off in a few seconds. The grass does not get a chance to build up on anything. Much easier and better than the powerwasher.

7. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

For in front and under the deck, I have used "Mo-Deck" spray with good results.

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

hey burnandreturn what is an air spade where did ya get it pic if you can .power washing is messy as frigg. Takes longer to clean up the driveway than actually cleaning the mowers.

9. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

"hey burnandreturn what is an air spade"

An air spade is used for digging out around objects that you don't want to injure, such as: trees, utility lines, irrigation lines, etc.. It hooks to a high CFM air compressor. It just shoots a highly focused stream of air out of a wand with a special tip that focuses the air like a laser. It's amazing how fast you can clean out around a tree that's been backfilled over the root flare or planted too deeply. It doesn't hurt the tree or roots but will remove really hard packed earth. Great for running irrigation lines where a trencher would get into a mess with big tree roots. A shop type compressor won't work. It has to have alot of air available, My compressor is a 200 cfm at a constant 90psi.

I jack the mower up and use the air spade to clean under the deck and on top of the deck, Takes much less time than a pressure washer and doesn't make a muddy mess.

10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I used a Cheap Karcher power washer for about 2 days at my new Place. We are on a well and the Flow Rate and Pressure is lower than in the city. Well the power washer basically overheated and blew the stator and armature apart. So I started using my Sweeper Nozzle that I had for my garden hose and it works excellent.

$3.00

37632.jpg