1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower companys responsible for the entire machine?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lazyike, Feb 15, 2007.

is the manufacturer responsible?

1. yes, they built and sold the package

2. no, go after the sub-contractors

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

What do you all think, Is a manufacture responsible only for the parts of it they make or the whole machine after they assemble it from when they get all the parts from their sub contractors?

Example they did not make the pumps, belts, tires, hubs, engine, oil filter, berings, seals. so if they fail you as a purcheser should not go after the company that put it all together and markets the machine????
  2. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

The whole machine. They choose the parts, therefor they are responsible for them.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What is your point?
  4. SuperZZZ

SuperZZZ LawnSite Member

example lazy bought a mclane edger from dealer.Motor went bad and still under warranty.Mclane would do nothing!Mclane puts the motor warranty strictly on briggs and stratton.Dealer finnally had rep.come out after the whole dam season went by,but the dealer did replace it with brand new motor.I will never ever buy equipment from them again everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
    You prolly need to check before and ask before you purchase equipment good luck.
  5. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Its an Exmark Mower, with their rep. I did not think I would have had to ask those types of questions.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I believe that the engines on pretty much every machine is warrantied by the engine manufacturer ie. Kawasaki, Briggs, Kohler, etc... and the rest of the machine is warrantied by the machine builder ie. Scag, Toro, Exmark, etc...

The example that SuperZZZ gave sounds like problems with the dealer and not the manufacturer's warranty. Regardless of who warranties the product, the dealer is responsible for the service and for acting as the go-between for the customer and the manufacturer.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how is this helping your point. It clearly states in the warranty Exmark will not be held responsible for engine problems or failures. This is the "subcontractor" or Kohler in your cases fault. They built the engine Exmark did not. Make your compleint to Kohler. Like I said read the warranty book. It's like the old saying "Read the finelines".
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The way I see it is they bought all the parts engine and everything else that went into the mower wholesale and put it together and made their money. Does that mean they should be responsable for the whole mower YES. Now thats not to say the company who built the mower shouldn't go after the company that built the part and they probably do and they should. Being the buyer of the mower its not your responsablitiy to track down each manufacturer for the part that is broke.
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The engine warranty is handeled through the engine manufacturer. It's not MClanes fault the Briggs engine went bad. Take the unit to an authorized Briggs dealer and the problem would have been solved.

Echo warrants the engines on their products because they make the engine. The company who puts the peices of equipment together carrys over the warranty (if any) from the componets manufacturer.

I don't see what your point is about this matter...
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

i think exmark should step up to the plate on this. they should be the ones calling Kohler.they should buy the mower back or put a different motor on it to get it running.

But i do think that this problem would be handled in this way no matter what Machine its on.