Mower comparison

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jul 23, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Question. Why is the snapper rear engine rider I want to get and the john deere L100 the same price? It seems like the jd is lower quality for it to be that cheap. Has anybody used one of these or know about the durability of it is?

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Listen! please do yourself a big favor. Stop thinking about residental equipment. It just screams scrub. Go buy a 36" belt drive walkbehind.
    I was 13 when I bought my first 48" belt drive. Two months later I had a 32" belt drive (still got it) By 16 I owned two standers. I am 20 now and have a dump truck, enclosed trailer, bobcat, compact tractor, etc. You will never get there by buying homeowner equipment. You will just keep replacing it every year. Commerical equipment just flat out cuts better, is faster and allows you to strip lawns.

$2500 is the price of a Snapper or a JD L100. Its almost the same price as a 36" eXmark Metro.

3. S man

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know how much thta one would cost (call and ask) but i do know that that would is ALOT better than a snapper or a jd. And you might want to go with a hydro if you plan on wanting to use a sulky. Trust me a hydro is worth the extra $$$ ask you parents if you go half if they will.

5. S man

hmmmn. The hydro is really worth it? I still have to buy a truck and bp blower. If I got a cheap truck and got the commercial w/b would that work?

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, whats more important to you, the ability to transport your stuff, or getting better stuff?

can you drive on your own now? if it's going to be a little while before you can, I would get the wb. if you can drive right now, then go with the truck, and let it make you money so you can buy the exmark.

7. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

that john deere you are speaking about is the home depot model; not a true deere product. manufactured under contract with ayp or someone to compete in that price range with craftsmen; snapper ;murray ; mtd etc. these type units will not hold up in the commercial sector. they are made to cut grass one or 2 times a week.find you an indepenpendent dealer that sells commercial grade equipment; maybe a good walk behind or a used ztr. these mass merchandisers are thru with u when they get your money. there are some great finanacing programs out thyere to ease the $ of getting into a comercial grade peice of equipment.

8. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

I wouldnt get either just stick with what you have and get a truck first.

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

S man, due yourself a favor and listen to what people are saying. Someone may be telling you to go commercial due to lessens they learned. I have Toro walkbehinds and a Z- Turn. My new Z replaces a Toro Z I just sold. Find a good dealer and stick with commercial equipment. Developing a good relationship with a good dealer far out weighs saving some money at Home Depot.

10. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

I agree with the boys. Commercial equipment all the way. Any one of these guys can outwork any residential machine, big or small deck, with a 36" walk behind. I personally run the scag 36" belt drive and have for two years. Started out on the john deere hydros and then bought toros with the tbar. Scag will outwork both of those. Good luck.