Mower decision- scag or dixie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Ok i run a scag wildcat which i love. It holds hills like a tank, it cuts incredible, and my dealer is to good to be true. The only problem i have with it is how it cuts in high wet grass. It clumps, and i have done things to minimize it, but there is only so much you can do. Also there is 3 different scag dealers all within my mowing radius(the one is the worst, but still well stocked), so if anything breaks i am not limited to just go back to my dealer which is out of the way.

I used to have a dixie chopper, and that thing cut high wet grass like you couldnt beleive, it fans it out and i never had to clean underneath the deck ever, but it sucked on hills. The dealer is only 3 minutes from my house. He is ok to me and treats me fair, but not nearly as good as the scag dealer. Plus he is the only dixie dealer around, so i would be limited to going to just him, and he is a small dealer. He is somewhat stocked but not like the scag dealers.

I have batted this around for months and i still dont know which way to go. I keep thinking about how much i have to work when the grass is so thick and wet. When its like that i cant help but think i will take the inconvenience of only one dealership over 3 just because that dixie will rip thru that wet grass like nothing, and i will not have to keep cleaning the deck.

What do you guys think?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen the big plus with the choppers. I have a couple dealers around me but I hardley ever see dixies on any lco's trailer. I would stick with the scag but thats JMO.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

First time I've heard that. Scag's velocity deck and the JD 7 iron II deck have the best reputation on wet grass. Are you using the old advantage deck on the Scag?

4. Sir mowsalot

yea advantage deck it is a 2005 model. I havent been keeping up with the new products and such so i wasnt aware that scag has a new deck, im gonna have to check it out.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

My wildcat has the old deck and cuts wet grass really well. You might try the eliminator mulching blades scag makes.Also you can adjust the plate just under the front of the deck for better mulching or different mowing conditions.

6. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Hey man you should definitley get a dixie, got a 60" this year, no problems at all. I mowed my church and the grass was around 8" tall and wet and it had no problems, i've never got a scag because my cousin in law switched from scags to dixies because of the longivity. Hope this helps.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah... Scag has a really nice one now.
    I'd go that way over the new choppers any day.
    (lots of cutting quirks with them now I've read)

Also, I wouldn't steer you away from Scag... but how are your Lesco's or Cub Commercial dealers in your area? I think I told you before, but these decks are second to none in wet grass, doesn't clump, doesn't clog and never needs scraping out. I mean just take a good look at my avatar pic and other pics I've posted of it.

On days like when those pics were taken, you were either sitting at home, or out struggling hard. Meanwhile I'm freight-training like it's any other day. Heck, it does so well that many times I wish it would rain so there would be no dust and it would be cooler.

At the moment I AM very curious "what" you have done to minimize problems with your deck. I'm discussing a related but separate subject about this as we speak

8. Sir mowsalot

HI Envy,
    Its always good to hear from you and get your opinion. I will definately go and look at the lesco's again. I almost bought one before but went with the scag because at the time lescos service guy was a real *dont bother me, im busy* kinda attitude. I just knew we wouldnt hit it off. But maybe he got his act together by now, or maybe lesco is using someone else. Is the lesco and cub tank parts interchangeable, because i have a real nice cub dealer not to far away.

It is impressive to say the least with how well your z performs in the wet heavy grass. I beleive you, and that is exactly what im after, im tired of having to clean underneath my deck.

I am also going to go and talk to my scag dealer about these new decks, and demo one. If it does alot better in the wet grass than the advantage deck, then i will seriously consider one of those, based on the fact that i have the worlds greatest dealer. For me dealership is one of the biggest factors, because i learned the hard way about poor service from dealerships.

To answer your question about what ive done to minimize clumping. Well, first i have checked and re checked the deck angle. I have tried the typical different blade combinations. Fiddled with the baffle. Still i have to clean underneath the deck way to much, and im just not happy with the clumping. There is just only so much you can do, and it comes down to deck design and really you cant overcome that totally, no matter how much you try.

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Envy, how can you reccomend a Lesco ZTR to anyone? Who works on them and where can you go where there is parts in stock for them? I would say buying a Lesco ZTR is one of the worst possible choices a LCO could make.

Around the Charlotte area, if you want a good ZTR and one where you can get parts or service quickly, it is going to be either Scag, Toro, Exmark.... These are the brands that have strong dealer support in this area, and these are the mowers you see on the majority of trucks and trailers riding around in this area.

Sir Mowsalot, See if your local dealers will let you demo a new Scag with the velocity deck. I just sold my old Scag " wildcat " with the advantage deck and that deck sucks compared to the velocity. I think you can even buy a velocity deck to put on your older wildcat.....

10. Sir mowsalot

Sir Mowsalot, See if your local dealers will let you demo a new Scag with the velocity deck. I just sold my old Scag " wildcat " with the advantage deck and that deck sucks compared to the velocity. I think you can even buy a velocity deck to put on your older wildcat.....

Hmmmmm....... this is very interesting, now you got my wheels turning.