1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower Decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I know this question has been asked tons of times on here, and that there are lots of threads on the topic. But, many of them state preferences, but not always reasons why those preferences exist. What I would like to know is what brand do you suggest, which brands should I steer clear of, and WHY? What in particular make you love or dislike a certain brand/style of mower.
    This is the biggest expense I am going to have starting out, and I just want to make a good decision. I have John Deere, Exmark, Cub Cadet, and Gravely dealers fairly close by.

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

What type of mower, ZTR, walk behind, Stand on..?
  3. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Sorry, guess that would help wouldn't it. I had been thinking walkbehind, since I wanted to focus on residential, but now I have a cemetery that I will be doing, which is about two and a half acres, with about 150 graves. Lots of open area, thought maybe a z for that, instead of a walkbehind? Talked to the Gravely dealer today, he said it would take me forever with a walkbehind? Guess I just need some guidance there also.

4. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

yes it may take you a little bit longer with a walkbehind but imo you will be way ahead when you go to your residentals because when the ground is soft your not goin to have to worry about leaving ruts or tearing up the gound, another thing is that if you get a walkbehind yes its not as efficent but at the very least its about half the cost so fo just starting out i would say go for a walkbehind, but get yourself a good velke and you wont have troble cutting any of your areas
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

go with a w/b like mlc said but get a 52"or biger you can flat out kick some grass with one some move at 8 mph notice i said move not mow not in my aera anyway
    the main thing is to find something you feel comfortable on exmark tops my list the ecs system for the drive levers is good for the long hauls with allmost finger tip ease they also offer pistol grips but not next year after this year they will be gone for good also the ultracut full floating deck is a must (if cut quality matters)
    huststler comes in second the t bar steering is good for long hours and they are tough as nails one of the fastest i have ever been on also has a floating deck
    the velke single wheel is the best for most yards you can ride or wallk beside it at any time without stoping
    there are many others out there but i am biased i sell the exmark and hustler. scags are good but they dont float when you look at a mower biger than say a 36" you need a floating deck it just looks so much better
    have a good season john
  6. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

Chances are starting out you will have more time then money. Buy a used 36" in decent condition, then when your schedule is filling up buy a 52" wb and go from there. ZTR are great if they are worth to your business what you pay for them. You don't have to reach peak efficiancy until you have to reach peak efficiancy.