mower decisions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by liquidforcedude7, Aug 11, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Im 14 and this is my second year mowing grass I have about 4 houses that I do every week and a few other ones that are like once a month. Most of my yards are just shy of an acre I think im having trouble getting new yards because one my age and two you can only get a yard to look so good with a lawn tractor. I really want to make lawns look good like with stripes and all but with a lawn tractor thats really uneficient (sp). I am not the best about the side of gettin new accounts pretty much all of mine are from flyers of word of mouth. But I plan on next year really going hard to get some new accounts. But I Dont want to sink as low as a couple of people in my neighborhood who go door to door asking people if they want their yard mowed. But my troy-bilt super bronco is starting to show its use. But I do a lot more than cut grass with it. Right now its how I get around, I load my trimmer 21" and backpack blower up in my little landscape trailer and hook it up to the mower. But I do have a nice 12' x 6' trailer. But my friend has offered me his 44" proline that gear driven (I think) and is in used, but decent shape. It got a big trac vac vacuum on it with another 6hp motor on it (for the vac). Its got jungle wheels and stuff. He wants 2k for it but he said for me he'd go to 15 hundred. I now make about 2k a summer and ive got about 1.6k saved up for just about anything. I cant decide wether to get this or not... :dizzy: I plan on gettin bigger over the next years and something like this would then become more nessassary (sp). He has kept it in really good shape engine and grease and like internal wise and its not rusted or anything its just not eye candy like some of the mowers you see. Can anyone give me any advice on this??? ;)
  2. jfb1060

jfb1060 LawnSite Member

hey there liquidforce,

You're really movin along with that business of yours.

How old is it and how used it? How long can you expect to keep it without having to make a major repair?

If you plan on doing a lot next year and increase your earnings a lot then it may pay off in the short term by giving you an edge on time per lawn. If you are not planning on growing a lot bigger you may want to get something more affordable that won't put your bank account at zero.

Also start thinking about getting back equipment little by little. This is probably the most important fact because if your primary goes down and you don't have a backup then someone else will be mowing the yards you used to mowe.

Hope this helped
    Good Luck
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Dude. I got a '93 Proline 44 for a backup and it is a good machine. Don't know if you need the Trac Vac, maybe for leaves.

On high grass I go concentrically inward and get the clippings in the middle and mow them a second and sometimes a third time in just a small area, or if it is too much volume, rake and hand bag some of it. On normal grass it discharges and spreads the clippings good and there is no problem.

The Proline had been setting up, and got it for a few hundred bucks. Cleaned the carb and put a few hundred in the frame for parts. No way would I sell it.

With fuel prices so high, there might be a lot of stuff for sale at good prices in the fall. If you are getting it done, you don't have to rush to buy now.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Hey man, just got over the same situation by getting my eXmark. I am 14 too but kind of a different problem. I went from 8 to 20 weelky clients in the first week of the mowing season. That was one hell of a shock. The eXmark stripes real nice (stock, no roller) and cuts 1/3 off my time. Beats my 21". Good Luck and its good to know of other young kids on here. If you think it is a good deal than i would go for it. Look at other options too (ebay, lawnsite equipment marketplace, etc.) However, i wouldn't touch that money in the bank. I would either get a loan from your parents (i do this, always works) or save until you have the money. Shout me an IM some time, my screen name is mcwlandscaping. Hope to talk to you soon!